Gps Track log route exchange Forum Forum Index Gps Track log route exchange Forum
Gps Track log points exchange for outdoor activities
Great for Garmin and other GPS to share and exchange track log!
You need to upload 1 track log to be able to download other's files.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mikes Sky Ranch To San Felipe, Sand wash avoid reroute Baja

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Gps Track log route exchange Forum Forum Index -> Mexico / Baja
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dusty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Mikes Sky Ranch To San Felipe, Sand wash avoid reroute Baja Reply with quote

The Great Baja Adventure was cut short because of a BMW clutch and a sand wash

2012 KTM 990 Adv. R and a 2016 BMW 1200 adventure

Type of roads/trails: Single track / fire roads /
We had just left Diablo lake riding just east of the lake, gravel and some sand

Difficulty: from highway 3 to the lake medium to sections of sand that required lots of concentration, but doable

Ride Description:We had decided to not go directly across the dry lake because of heavy rains just 3 days before, and that was a good call the lake was super muddy. We rode on the eastern edge of the lake beautiful day. The trail after passing the lake turns east and starts to San Felipe, the only problem is the existing route takes you into a sand wash that is really deep sand. I,ve ridden a lot of sand but never on a 990, if you keep the speed up you can do it. Anyhow the BMW could not handle the sand and the clutch literally went to pieces stranding us in the desert about 40 miles from San Felipe.
So we're trying to decide how to get out of there and I hear a vehicle coming fast, I started waiving them down and saw it was the Mexican military in a Hum Vee, I could not understand how they could travel so quickly in that wash. Found out that they were on a road just slightly south of our track.
They were super helpful, 5 soldiers and the rider lifted a 650 pounds of BMW into the back of the Hum Vee and took us all the way to San Felipe.
So i just wanted to try and make everyone aware that there is another way out and around that wash. It wrecked our trip.

Link to RideReport/other: www.advrider.com/....
HBLARRY

Usergroups:
 [ Upload-Download ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Laguna Diablo re-route Reply with quote

Thanks Dusty for the heads up on that really deep sand re-route out of Laguna Diablo.
My older XR650R shook it off like it wasn't there.......
but the KLR 650 I replaced it with (electric start) wanted to lay down
and stay there.
We've since passed that section up the last couple of times down
on the KTM 990 ADV and now an 1190 ADV R.
So, moving over to your "red track" just south of the visible route on the
LB Baja map gets you on the hard pack gravel road?
Describe it if you will.
I remember a fence we traveled along in a soft two track before it
got any better.
I never wanted a cold beer as much as after that beast.
HBLARRY

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Gps Track log route exchange Forum Forum Index -> Mexico / Baja All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: